Creating your Own Dogfight
I am extremely happy to see the reaction to Air Duel, my iClone5 demo, which has been met with positive comments and some questions. Do to time constraints I cannot give a full tutorial but I can tell you:
- How it was made in general.
- Scene Setup
- Toon Render and Post Effect Settings
- Animating with paths.
- Using the stock destructible prop for debris.
- Summary of the MoCap and clean up.
So let's start with the some general information about the production which you will discover contains only one slightly complex timing scene and the rest is up to iClone or the fantastic props of the World War II Packs. Those props are of course a vital part to this production but any airplanes that can be converted to iClone via 3DXchange or other methods will work. If you want to take the quick and easy route you can make a propeller out of a thin cylinder with the right opacity then animate with the Prop Puppet feature, even a clear flat static cylinder is better than a frozen prop.
Ode to the Visual
This piece is based on a rant by famous director Peter Greenaway at a machinima festival in 2010. Not only did Mr. Greenaway proceed to declare the narrative dead but also went on about how "visual" is everything even if very few viewers understand it.
So... this animator took Mr. Greenaway's advice to heart, enlisted the help of Anim8torCathy to voice the lines and using iClone 5 and it's new toon shader the project was complete in a couple of days plus another few hours of credis work and final edit.
There is very little key frame (manual) animation in this short. It demonstrates the power of the new animation tools that come with iClone 5 when combined with existing tools like paths for smooth movement.
I also attempted to recreate some of the look of the old 1960s/1970s vivid color underground comics. The base character of Gorf, another iClone 5 new addition) was used with customization in the avatar proportions and shaping the head with the details dialog. You an get a lot of different characters out of this critter. Work on the skin to change texture or color of the character.
Page 13 of 13
Notify of New Content
Got too many sites to check? Too many places to be? Subscribe here and I'll notify you when new content has been added to the site.
How To Videos
- iClone 6 - Creating (Rendering Out) Video
- iClone 6 - Your First Scene
- iClone 6 - What is it?
- iClone 6 - Basics of Lighting
- iClone 6 - Where is it?
- iClone 6 - Keyboard/Mouse Navigation
- iClone 6 - Character/Prop Interaction
- iClone 6 - First Look New Navigation
- iClone 6 - First Look New GUI
- iClone 6 - Using Softcloth & Collision
- Animating in Realtime Episode 4
- Animating in Realtime Episode 3
- Animating in Realtime Episode 2
- Animating in Realtime Episode 1
- Basic Spotlights & Filming Shadows
- Basic Lighting - Point Lights & Atmospherics
- Creating A Simple Steering Wheel Rig
- Creating a Car Chase with Paths
- Converting and Animating DAZ Props
- The Always Active iClone Timeline
- AML Sit Here Template & Why Are Things Moving
- Pose to Pose Animation
- First iClone Scene - Where to Start
- Adding Sounds and Music
- Practical Physics #4 - Particle Explosions
- Practical Physics #3 - Explosion
- Quick Reveals #2
- Practical Physics #1
- Motion & Keyframes #1
- Quick Reveals #1
- DAZ to iClone Full Body Morph
- Using the New Prop Animation Layer
- Converting the Toon Donkey
- Correcting a Bad Conversion
- Poser to iClone via 3DXchange 5.4
- DAZ Genesis to iClone via 3DXchange
- Point & Click Movement & Keyframes
- Basic Character Animation & Repurposing
- Back to the Basics with the Masterchief
- iClone in the Pipeline
- How to Create Silhouette Lighting
- Creating an Epic Sized Space Fleet
- Daz to iClone via 3DXchange 5
- Flock of Birds Prop
- How to Simulate Pushing an Object
- Camera Shake - Simple Camera Physics Rig
- Multi-Duplicate, Gravity & Scatter
- Flying Off into the Sunset
- Simplified Ragdoll - Breaking Constraints/Helicopter Stunt
- Simplified Ragdoll
- Simple Warp Portal
- Using MoCap and Multi-Layer Motions
- Soft Cloth - Head and Shoulders
- Using Time Warp and Curves
- How To: Drag and Drop
- Working with Stairs
- The Domino Effect
- Creating your Own Dogfight
- How to Save and Use the Curtains in iClone 5
- iClone Asset Management